Senate Health Committee Chair Tom Harkin (D-IA) announced that he will hold a series of hearings over the coming months to explore how the new health law will affect Americans. The first hearing, “The Affordable Care Act: Freeing Americans from Insurance Company Abuses,” which is slated for Jan. 27, will also be the first Senate hearing of the 112th Congress.
The series of hearings will further examine how the law
- holds insurers accountable for how they set insurance rates and spend consumers’ premium dollars;
- benefits small business owners;
- reduces the deficit and promotes economic growth;
- increases quality of care and reduces waste, fraud and abuse in the health care system;
- makes unprecedented investments in prevention and wellness;
- frees Americans to change jobs without fear of losing their health insurance; and
- expands coverage to millions of Americans.