We encourage our members to share the below announcement by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) with individuals they support and direct support professionals, as they could benefit from financial assistance with internet access.
“The Federal Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) Program Starts on Wednesday,
May 12, 2021: Affordable broadband internet service for low-income households
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is a temporary FCC program to help families and households struggling to afford broadband internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. The program opens on May 12th and provides eligible households:
- Up to $50/month discount for broadband service;
- Up to $75/month discount for households on qualifying Tribal lands; and
- A one-time discount of up to $100 for a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet purchased through a participating provider if the household contributes more than $10 but less than $50 toward the purchase price.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
Who is Eligible?
A household is eligible if a member of the household:
- Participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Receives benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, or did so in the 2019-2020 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020;
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating broadband provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program; or
- If the household has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
Three Ways to Apply
1. Contact your preferred participating broadband provider directly to learn about their application process.
2. Go to GetEmergencyBroadband.org to apply online and to find participating providers near you.
3. Call 833-511-0311 for a mail-in application, and return it along with proof of eligibility to: Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742
For more help regarding the Emergency Broadband Benefit program.
On April 13, the FCC and ACL hosted a webinar that provided an overview of the benefit, eligibility criteria, how to apply, and the FCC’s partner toolkit materials. Webinar materials are now available:
Call 833-511-0311 or find more information about the Emergency Broadband Benefit at www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit.”