Bridgewell is seeking a highly motivated Chief Operating Officer to lead operations for this premiere human services organization serving individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, substance use disorders, autism, behavioral health disorders and other life challenges. The new COO must be inspired by the values of caring and respect, and have the spirit to lead an organization that is trusted and recognized for innovation and expertise. This is an outstanding opportunity for an experienced leader to apply their business knowledge, communication skills, strategic planning and relationship building abilities to an organization that has experienced significant growth, change and service expansion during the last decade.
Bridgewell’s mission is to be inspired by the values of caring and respect, to guide individuals with disabilities and other challenges to achieve and enjoy their highest quality of life and personal growth. Bridgewell strives to be the provider of choice for services to individuals with disabilities and other life challenges, and to be trusted and recognized by all stakeholders for our leadership, innovation, professional expertise, quality of service, accountability and integrity. Bridgewell focuses on the abilities of individuals and approaches service delivery as a partnership, respecting the needs and desires of each person. This person-centered approach allows Bridgewell to support and respect the people they serve, as well as to foster their independence.
Bridgewell was founded in 1958 as a child guidance center in Lynn, Massachusetts, and has transformed over time into a comprehensive human services organization that provides a continuum of care for many service needs. Today we provide supports and maintain operations in 23 communities in eastern Massachusetts and serve more than 6,000 individuals and families each year. With an operating budget in excess of $70M, we employ more than 1,300 professionals to carry forward our mission and we appreciate their dedication and caring. Bridgewell is CARF accredited and licensed by various Massachusetts state agencies. We are governed by a 14-member board of directors. For more information about Bridgewell, please visit http://www.bridgewell.org.
Bridgewell’s programs include:
Disability Support Services: Bridgewell provides community housing, day habilitation, employment training and placement, and supported living services to adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The goals are to support and encourage independent decision-making and community engagement, teach life skills, and ensure a safe and full life for those in our care. Individuals in our services range from those that may present with minimal support needs who live independently to those with significant and complex medical challenges.
Autism Services: Bridgewell provides specialized programming for young adults with autism spectrum disorders transitioning from the educational system to adult service programs. Our services include community housing, employment services, day habilitation and community based day services, as well as a Family Support Center for families that have dependents with autism.
Addiction and Recovery Services: Bridgewell has a number of programs to support people in recovery. Our services include inpatient residential treatment, transitional and permanent sober housing, outpatient counseling, jail diversion programs, recovery coaching, prevention and education initiatives, and medication assisted treatment.
Behavioral Health Services: Bridgewell provides a variety of behavioral health services including outpatient psychotherapy and medication management. Services are provided to adults through three outpatient clinics and to adults and children in our fourth outpatient clinic.
Affordable Housing: Bridgewell provides safe and affordable single room occupancy and apartment housing to homeless adults with or without disabilities. Case management services are provided to most tenants. Bridgewell is a housing authority and administers HUD Mainstream Housing Choice vouchers.
Center for Professional Innovation: Bridgewell offers continuing education and professional development for professionals in areas such as mental health, healthcare and education.
The Chief Operating Officer will be responsible for the overall administration of programs and defined administrative services within the organization. S/he will oversee and provide strategic direction for operational activities in support of regulations, policies, goals and objectives established by the President and CEO, including maintaining the exceptional quality of Bridgewell’s services. S/he will also be actively involved in external activities that impact industry direction and enhance the operations of Bridgewell. S/he will minimally directly supervise three senior leaders of the residential, day and clinical services departments and indirectly lead the quality assurance, transportation / fleet management, and healthcare departments.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Operations Officer will manage a team of senior professionals responsible for leading key departments within the agency. S/he will be responsible for development and execution of established goals with the Executive, Leadership and Senior Management Teams. The COO will maintain a high performance environment that fosters quality services, excellent consumer/stakeholder satisfaction and enhanced employee morale, while ensuring active and visible representation of Bridgewell internally and within the larger business community, developing partnerships beneficial to Bridgewell’s mission and operations.
The COO will:
- Ensure continued sustainability and, where applicable, growth of core business units
- Direct and ensure compliance with all licensing, certification and accreditation processes
- Direct and approve the preparation and modification of department budgets, ensuring positive financial performance
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with funding and referral sources, Bridgewell’s Board of Directors, peer organizations, community groups, legislative representatives, local community representatives, chambers of commerce and other applicable groups / people essential to the success of Bridgewell
- Manage relationships to ensure adequate funding of programs and procurement of new contracts as opportunities arise
- Participate in trade association committees and initiatives
- Participate in and advocate for statewide policy and legislation development designed to support service areas important to Bridgewell’s mission
- Seek and facilitate continuous improvements in quality standards, professionalism, and performance efficiencies
- Direct and participate in policy and procedure development, revision and implementation
- Participate in the evaluation and planning process for new business development as well as partnership and merger opportunities
- Coordinate meetings of the Program Committee of the Board in collaboration with the Board appointed committee chair
- Engage individuals, family members and other stakeholders to ensure quality service delivery and response to service enhancement opportunities
LEADERSHIP OUTLOOK AND NEAR-TERM PRIORITIES, MEASURES OF SUCCESS
In addition to quickly understanding the mission and complex business model of Bridgewell, the new COO will advance the following near-term priorities during the first 12-18 months (not in priority order):
- Develop trust and working relationships with staff, individuals, customersand leaders in the community, working to best understand current Bridgewell programs and the needs of the constituencies
- Co-lead efforts to expand Bridgewell’s presence, and position the organization as a statewide-thought leader in the human services industry
- Expand Bridgewell’s advocacy efforts at the state and federal levels towards the future sustainability of services
- Work with the CEO to review and implement strategic goals, initiatives and strategies
- Evaluate the current business and financial models and make recommendations to the CEO for stabilization, sustainability and growthof the organization
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiencies of internal systems and make recommendations to the CEO for enhancements
EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Ideal candidates for this position will share our commitment to Bridgewell’s mission and will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to Bridgewell, including:
- Strong leadership with exceptional management skills
- A proven track record of organizational and management development to achieve business results and drive forward the mission
- Excellent problem solving capabilities in a rapidly changing, complex environment
- Strong business acumen and experience with operational processes; experience managing large budgets (over $50M) including development and management of revenues and expenses
- Experience managing in a union environment
- A strategic thinker, masterful communicator, exceptional writer, and excellent listener with a strong ability to build trust among a wide range of constituents
- Demonstrated team building, mentoring, consensus building and conflict resolution expertise
- Knowledge of state funding agency systems, policies and regulations, as well as CARF or other national accreditation processes
- 10-12 years management experience in a complex organization with a minimum of 7 years senior level senior level experience
- Minimum of 7 years of business management experience across a range of business disciplines, preferably in human service delivery working with individuals with disabilities and / or other life challenges
- A Master’s degree in business, public administration, clinical, social work or related field
- Proficiency in technologies, including Microsoft Office Suite
Salary will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
To apply, e-mail resume, cover letter and salary requirements to: Bridgewell@raffa.com (e-mail applications are required and only complete applications will be considered). For other inquiries contact James Sunshine at email@example.com.
Bridgewell is committed to equal employment opportunity. Resume reviews begin immediately. Interviews will begin in January 2018.