ANCOR Connect 2024: The Power of We
Direct Support Professional for Adult Comprehensive ExperienceShare this page
Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people we work with, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360 degree compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of our Adult Comprehensive Experience (ACE) Direct Support Professional (DSP) is to inspire and coach Ascendigo’s adult clients to achieve their goals
and see their best selves. Specific responsibilities include providing behavioral health services to adult clients such as job coaching, leading recreational activity outings, independent living support
and general life skill building. DSP’s may also provide services to clients in other Life Enrichment programs, including our Vocational and Residential Programs. The SDSP will collaborate with
Ascendigo’s Vocational Manager, Case Managers and ACE Program Managers to learn and implement Behavior Plans or other guiding documents included in the client’s Individualized Plan.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with other members of the team to coordinate care, facilitate care transitions, and implement resident goals and objectives.
- Follow directives established in each resident’s Individual Plan as well as those from the client and their guardian/parent.
- Complete a 40-hour training program to obtain Registered Behavior Technician (full time, year-round staff only).
- Use naturalistic teaching methods with our clients to teach them the skills that they need.
- Take client(s) into the community while helping them interact with the community and the environment appropriately.
- Help client(s) achieve educational goals and support and accompany client(s) in weekly recreational outings.
- Support client(s) in workplace settings, finish any job duties client is not able to do.
- Facilitate an ongoing professional relationship with each client, their families, and their employers.
- Assist client(s) in building skills needed to be successful, responsible, and independent, with a focus on work skills and personal skills that allow them to be prepared and successful at work.
- Support client(s) in discovering passions and talents through experimentation of new activities.
- Knowledge of the field of autism as it pertains to adults preferred
- Knowledge of healthy nutrition and basic cooking skills.
- Basic knowledge of physical fitness and exercise regimens and willing to engage in physical activities including outdoor activities with residents.
- Ability to handle the personal care of residents with sensitivity and care.
- Possess effective skills in active listening, coaching, and supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and extended hours.
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.