Direct Support Professional for Vocational DepartmentShare this page
Destination Ascendigo: Ascendigo’s mission is to elevate the spectrum by empowering people, inspiring lives and shattering expectations. We apply this mission to both the people we serve, such as our participants and clients, and the people we work with, such as our co-workers and other stakeholders.
Ascendigo is a nonprofit organization that enhances the lives of children and adults living with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) through therapeutic recreation, employment, community integration, education and an array of behavioral health services. We are headquartered in Carbondale, CO. Currently, Ascendigo employs more than full- and part-time year-round staff members and approximately 30 additional employees during our seasonal summer camp programming.
The Ascendigo Promise to our employees is to provide meaning and purpose in the work we do and a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. We support high performance through thoughtful on-boarding and training, and acting with integrity. We offer 360 degree compensation with a path to financial security, personal well-being and fulfillment, and housing assistance.
Job Summary: The primary responsibility of the Direct Support Professional (DSP) in our Vocational Program (VOC) is to inspire and coach Ascendigo and Department of Vocational Rehabilitation clients to achieve their goals and see their best selves. DSP’s may also provide services to clients in other Life Enrichment programs, including Adult Comprehensive Experience (ACE) and Residential. The DSP will collaborate with Ascendigo’s Vocational Manager and Clinical Team to learn and implement Behavior Plans and other guiding documents included in the client’s Individualized Plan.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with clients with any kind of disability.
- Create community connections and partnerships.
- Well versed in excel and have some accounting/billing experience.
- Work with other members of the Life Enrichment team to coordinate care, facilitate care transitions, and implement resident goals and objectives.
- Complete a 40-hour course to obtain Registered Behavior Therapist status (full time, year around staff only).
- Keep clients motivated to learn through preference assessments.
- Use naturalistic teaching methods with clients.
- Take client into the community and assist them in interacting with the community and the environment appropriately.
- Help client achieve any educational goals in plan and support client in recreational weekly outings.
- Support client in workplace settings, and finish any job duties client is not able to do.
- Communicate confidentially and professionally with other behavior analysts, Skills trainers and parents.
- Knowledge of the field of autism as it pertains to adults.
- Knowledge of healthy nutrition and basic cooking skills.
- Basic knowledge of physical fitness and exercise regimens and willing to engage in physical activities including outdoor activities with residents.
- Ability to handle the personal care of residents with sensitivity and caring.
- Possess effective skills in active listening, coaching, and human supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, the ability to collaborate with colleagues.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings, weekends and extended hours.
Personal Characteristics: should be committed and passionate about the Ascendigo mission of a holistic, active, community-based, independent, and person-centered life. He/she should believe in the dignity and potential of our clients. We also have a commitment to a culture of R.E.S.P.E.C.T. which stands for:
- R-Recognize the inherent worth of your coworkers.
- E- Eliminate derogatory words and phrases.
- S- Speak with people- not at them- or about them.
- P-Protect the culture of your organization- report and support!
- E- Empathize- consider what it is like in others’ situations.
- C-Consider your impact on others before speaking and apologize when you make a mistake.
- T- Treat everyone with integrity, dignity, and respect.