ANCOR Connect 2024: The Power of We
ANCOR’s Global Council exists to create opportunities for ANCOR members to learn from intellectual and developmental disability (I/DD) service delivery systems beyond the 50 states, and to contribute to initiatives that enhance the lives of people with I/DD across the globe.
In the past few years, ANCOR’s Global Council has mobilized members to donate resources in light of Russia’s war in Ukraine and following the devastation wrought by Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico. The Global Council has also spearheaded learning visits to Puerto Rico, Moldova and India, and has participated in meetings at the United Nations in New York and at the Inclusion International conference in Birmingham, United Kingdom.
The ANCOR Global Council seeks to actively engage and become a voice in the worldwide human rights movement in the support of people with intellectual and development disability and autism. This overarching goal will be advanced through:
- Listening to and supporting the voices of people and their families; advocating for deinstitutionalization and development of community options and resources.
- Educating ourselves through study tours and engagement with global organizations and associations to enhance cultural competencies and understand diverse cultures.
- Facilitating opportunities for ANCOR members to engage in global work as subject matter experts, service providers and volunteers; becoming recognized as a resource for the United States Department of State, USAID, the Department of Homeland Security and the United Nations.
- Importing and exporting effective advocacy and service delivery strategies, policy and practices.
- Supporting and encouraging the ratification of the United Nations Convention of the Rights for Persons with Disability (CRPD) by any and all governmental authorities with in the U.S.
- Developing, recommending and supporting ANCOR’s Government Relations workforce initiatives to alleviate the workforce crisis by exploring creative solutions through immigration policy; fostering development of a quality workforce abroad by creating opportunities to host delegations of visiting providers, including direct support professionals.
NEW! Watch our latest video, which highlights the value ANCOR’s Global Council brings to our community of providers and beyond.